Monday, March 1, 2010

Cairo

My ten weeks in Asia are over. The last two weeks of my trip begin today in the Middle East. I landed in Cairo at 6:30am today and had one final day before a number of my classmates arrive. Several are arriving this evening - seven to be exact - while we will be meeting up with more on Saturday in Bahrain, where we have a week-long class. Our plans in Egypt include exploring Cairo, visiting the pyramids and heading down to Luxor and the Valley of the Kings.

The first reaction I had this morning was, "Holy sh*t it's cold!" I don't know if it's because I was expecting ridiculously high temps or the last ten weeks have been unbearably hot. Either way, I was not expecting the temperature to be in the mid-fifties this morning - which to me feels like below zero.

I spent the day - while wearing pants for the first time in weeks - at the train ticketing office and walking through the old town. It seems that Egypt has used India's playbook when it comes to bureaucracy. In order to buy eight train tickets for Wednesday night, it took me more than two hours and multiple trips to the train station. Like the Indians, the folks at Egyptian Rail make everything 18 steps more difficult than it should have to be. Despite that, I was able to procure tickets to Luxor. After that debacle, I rode the Cairo subway to the old town. It was nothing overly impressive, just several ancient churches, synagogues and mosques all clustered together. The real highlight will be the pyramids tomorrow.

It's Miller Time!

On a side note, I've uploaded all of my pictures from Southeast Asia and have also created a highlights album, which only has 25 pictures. You can view both by clicking on the links on the right side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment